I know, I know – I have made so many jokes about the love of PSL (aka the pumpkin spice latte and anything that is a rip off of it), but alas, now the joke is on me because I created the Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Muffins!
These scrumptious and soft muffins are the perfect combination of indulgent and good for you. The Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Muffins star ingredient is of course pumpkin, but the cacao and spices are not far behind at all in terms of their powerful health benefits. This recipe is gluten free, nut free and vegan.
Pumpkin is high in carotenoids (like alpha and beta carotene) which are converted into Vitamin A. Carotenoids are especially beneficial for the skin, eyes, and cardiovascular system among other things. Pumpkin also contains a ton of fibre, mostly in the form of pectin, which makes it excellent for absorbing toxins in your digestive system, and eliminating them efficiently. If you’re craving more carotenoids, you definitely need to check out this recipe!
Raw cacao is what adds the rich, chocolate flavour to these PSC Muffins, but also a boost of nutrients that you would never guess. Cacao (as opposed to the processed cocoa) is one of the highest sources of magnesium in the world! Magnesium is a mineral that is responsible for more than 300 chemical reactions in our body, and plays a key role in bone health, electrolyte balance, muscle function, and energy production.
The warming spices like cinnamon and clove are comforting and aromatic, but have stimulating actions on the circulatory system, making them perfect additions to your food to get the blood pumping and to keep you warm now that its cooling off.
- 1 can pureed pumpkin or 1 heaping cup of cooked mashed/pureed pumpkin
- 2 chicken or flax eggs for vegan sub. (1 flax egg = 1 tbsp ground flax + 2 tbsp hot water)
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 3/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1/4 cup rice/brown rice flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp clove
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- If making vegan version, make flax eggs first and set aside for a few minutes until gelled, and preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a muffin tin with individual cups, or a cake pan with a sheet of parchment paper.
- Sift flour, cacao, arrowroot, baking powder and all spices in a large bowl.
- Mix pumpkin, olive oil, eggs/flax eggs and maple syrup, and add to dry ingredients. Mix batter until just combined and transfer to baking tray.
- Bake for 30 mins or until tops start to get a slight crust.
- Remove from oven and let stand for a few minutes in baking tray. Transfer to rack and let cool before digging in!