Want glowing skin in the fall? Throw out that pumpkin spice latte and make this healthy soup recipe for the skin instead! Enter the SAS Soup. (AKA Sweet potato, Apple & Sage soup)
Both sweet potatoes and apples have an incredible about of fibre, both soluble and insoluble (both are necessary to form proper ????). Fibre is CRUCIAL in a diet for healthy skin because its the nutrient that actually absorbs toxins and metabolites produced by your liver.
If you’re not having regular bowel movements, that means your not actually eliminating these substances, meaning your body is just going to reabsorb them – talk about a lot of work for nothing!
This skin healing soup is also packed with vitamins and minerals, like beta carotene and vitamin c, which is an antioxidant to protect your skin cells!
- 1 large sweet potato (skin on, washed well!)
- 1 apple (cortland and Macintosh work great)
- 1 white onion
- a few cloves of garlic
- 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled
- 2 Sage leaves for a subtle flavour, 5 for a stronger flavour
- 1 L vegetable stock* (chicken stock works well too!)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp himalayan salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- a few sprigs of chives
- Chop sweet potato into small cubes, dice white onion and apple, then set aside in bowl together.
- Mince garlic and ginger.
- Heat a saucepan on a medium heat and add olive oil to pan.
- Once oil is “shimmering” add onions, apple and sweet potato and cook for a few minutes until onions are soft and starting to become translucent.
- Add the garlic, ginger, sage and spices to the pot and cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock to the pot, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 30 mins, or until the sweet potato is soft.
- once off the heat, transfer to a blender or food processor and blend until your desired smoothness is reached.
- Garnish with toasted almond slices and chives. Serve warm!
Still need your fix of high fibre foods? You need to check out my Triple Treat Hummus recipe!
Leave A Comment