This Warming Golden Lentil Soup lets the normally humble lentil shine its tasty light! Great in a small bowl as a starter, or as larger serving with toasted bread or a fresh salad for a nice meal.
Part of the legume family, lentils are full of fibre and protein, and minerals like iron. If you’re a vegan or vegetarian, this is a staple to add to your diet. Even if you aren’t, this is a healthy addition that’s super quick to cook, as it doesn’t require any pre soaking!
This Warming Golden Lentil Soup isn’t just a simple starter – its a balanced meal filled with legumes, vegetables and healing spices. Firstly, it’s the perfect meal on a cold day, thanks to the warming ginger and spicy jalepeno. Secondly, this soup packs an anti-inflammatory punch, due to the synergistic actions of black pepper and turmeric. That combination has been used for thousands of years in Ayurvedic medicine, and can make a difference in conditions like arthritis and IBS. Make this Golden lentil Soup ASAP and get everything from your tastebuds to your toes feeling good.
- 1 L vegetable broth (homemade is best!)
- 1 cup red lentils (well rinsed!)
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1-2 onions
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- 1 inch piece of ginger
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- Boil the lentils in half of the vegetable broth on medium high heat for 15-20 minutes or until soft. Set aside.
- Dice onions and celery and finely mince the garlic, ginger and jalapeño (remove the seeds if you don’t want the heat)
- In a large pan on medium heat, add the coconut oil, turmeric, black pepper and mustard seeds, and sauté until the seeds begin to pop.
- Add the celery and onions to the pot and cook for a few minutes, until they begin to turn translucent. You may have to turn heat down if you find its cooking faster.
- Add the chili flakes, garlic powder, garlic, ginger and jalapeño and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add 3/4 of the contents of the pan to the lentils, as well as the remaining broth and the salt.
- Bring to a boil for a few minutes, turn off the heat and stir in fresh cilantro.
- Serve and garnish with a spoonful of sauté mixture on top, and extra cilantro if desired!
Need a delicious dessert for this meal? You need to check out these unreal muffins!
Leave A Comment