This Pretty Pearl Couscous Salad is the prefect mix of Mediterranean veggies, and savoury toasted Israeli couscous – which is actually a pasta!
Moroccan couscous (the smallest kind that you are most familiar with) is made from cracked durum wheat, while Israeli and Lebanese couscous are larger and pearl shaped, as they have been formed from the same wheat that has been made into a flour.
No matter what shape, this delicious high protein dish can be eaten warm, or cold and will last all day in a container for lunch. Here’s how to make it:
- 1 1/2 cups Israeli couscous
- 2 cups of water
- 1 tbsp olive oil + 1 tbsp olive oil + 1 tbsp olive oil
- Himalayan salt
- Black pepper
- Chili flakes
- Bay leafs
- 1 Red onion, diced
- 1 Zucchini, diced
- 1 Bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 Tomato, diced
- 2 Green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup Parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp Raisins
- 2 tbsp Sliced almonds, toasted!
- Juice of 1/4 – 1/2 lemon, depending on size
1. Add 1tbsp of olive oil to a sauce pan on medium heat. Once shimmering add red onion and cook for 2 minutes.
2. When onions are translucent, add zucchini and sautee for 1-2 minutes before adding red pepper. Cook for 1 minute and then add in garlic. Cook mixture for 1-2 minutes and then place the contents in a bowl to cool.
3. In the same pan, add 1 most tbsp olive oil and then the Israeli couscous. Stir and Sautee until couscous couscous is slightly toasted, about 2 minutes.
4. Add the water, salt, black pepper, chili flakes and bay leaves to the pot with simmer for approx 15 minutes, or until water is absorbed and couscous is soft when bitten.
5. Once couscous is cooked, add to the sautéed veggies and mix. Once cooled, mix in tomatoes, green onions, parsley, sliced almonds and raisins.